1 1/2 - 2lbs. boneless pork loin roast or pork tenderloin, or use bone-in chicken pieces
2Tbsp.extra virgin olive oil
4 - 5clovesgarlicminced, about 2 tsp.
1Tbsp. fresh or dried rosemary
1/2tsp. kosher salt, sea salt, or other coarse salt
2 1/2lbs. sweet potatoespeeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 - 2Tbsp. butter
1 - 2Tbsp.pure maple syrup or brown sugar
1/2cuplow fat milk (or use any variety)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Put the meat in a large roasting pan.
In a small bowl, combine the oil, garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
Rub the mixture all over the top and sides of the meat. (If using pork tenderloin, fold the skinny piece under so you have a piece with somewhat uniform thickness.)
Roast the meat for 30 - 40 minutes (check it after 25 minutes for pork tenderloin) until just cooked through and has an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
While the meat is cooking, cover the sweet potatoes with water in a large saucepan and bring it to a boil over high heat. Simmer the potatoes until they are fork tender, 10 - 15 minutes.
Drain them thoroughly, and whip them in a mixing bowl with the butter, syrup or sugar, and milk, until they are smooth. (Optional: Transfer the whipped potatoes to a small casserole and put them in the oven with the pork roast until the tops of the potatoes start to brown.) Slice the pork and serve it alongside the whipped potatoes.
Slow Cooker Directions
Follow the pork recipe as above, placing the pork in the slow cooker and covering it with the rub mixture. Cook on low for 7 – 8 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. Prepare the potatoes as directed above.
(Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Peel the garlic, combine the spices, prepare the rub, spread the rub on the meat and refrigerate, peel and chop the potatoes.Scramble Flavor Booster: Season the pork with extra freshly ground black pepper.Tip: Pork dries out quickly, so rely on your meat thermometer rather than appearance, to know when it is done.Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 360, Total Fat: 10g, 15%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 13%; Cholesterol: 75mg, 25%; Sodium: 270mg, 11%; Total Carbohydrate: 38g, 13%; Dietary Fiber: 6g, 24%; Sugar: 10g; Protein: 28gLike this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!