Fusilli with Smoked Trout and Plum Tomatoes
This is a surprising combination of flavors that really work well together. Eating smoked trout is a great way to get healthy fish protein into your family’s diet - my kids had no idea there was fish in the sauce until I told them!
- 16 oz. whole wheat fusilli (spiral) noodles (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 - 2 lb. plum or Roma tomatoes halved lengthwise, seeds scooped out, and cut into strips
- 2 - 4 cloves garlic minced, about 1 - 2 tsp.
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 26 oz. tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 4 oz. smoked trout, in a tin or from the deli, or use anchovies, smoked salmon, or canned tuna, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
Cook the pasta in salted water according to the package directions, and drain it.
Meanwhile, in a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium to medium-high heat.
Add the fresh tomatoes, garlic, and red pepper flakes and sauté them for 3 - 4 minutes until the tomatoes soften.
Add the pasta sauce and smoked trout and simmer it for a few minutes.
When the noodles are nearly done, stir the parsley into the sauce. Combine the noodles and sauce and serve it hot, topped with the cheese, if desired.
Slow Cooker Directions:
Add all the sauce ingredients except the trout, salmon or tuna to the slow cooker. (If using anchovies, add them now.) Cook on low for 8 - 12 hours or high for 3 - 4 hours. If using trout, salmon or tuna, add it to the slow cooker 30 minutes before serving. Prepare the pasta according to the package directions and combine with the sauce.
(Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook the pasta and store it tossed with a little oil to prevent sticking, seed and cut the tomatoes, peel the garlic, chop or flake the fish and refrigerate, chop the parsley, grate the cheese if necessary and refrigerate.
Scramble Flavor Booster: Add extra crushed red pepper flakes (up to 1/2 tsp.) to the sauce. Stir in extra parsley, if desired.
Tip: Smoked trout is also delicious crumbled over salads, mixed with a little lemon juice and some herbs and spread on crackers, or swapped in for clams in your next chowder.
Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 340, Total Fat: 7g, 11%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 5%; Cholesterol: 5mg, 2%; Sodium: 440mg, 18%; Total Carbohydrate: 55g, 18%; Dietary Fiber: 9g, 36%; Sugar: 13g; Protein: 15g