Turkey, Cranberry, and Wild Rice Salad
This recipe was invented to use up the Thanksgiving leftovers that sometimes get forgotten. It is a great, satisfying way to reduce food waste and create an entirely new and delicious dish!
- 1 cup wild rice blend such as Lundberg’s
- 1 cup cooked turkey breast chopped, or use Tofurkey or other meatless turkey substitute
- 1 cup sliced celery about 2 stalks
- ¼ – ½ cup scallions green parts only, thinly sliced, to taste
- ½ cup dried cranberries or ½ - ¾ cups cranberry sauce to taste, or use pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup light balsamic vinaigrette dressing or use equal parts olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup pecans lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
Prepare the rice according to the package directions, using water or leftover chicken broth.
In a medium serving bowl, combine the turkey, celery, scallions, and cranberries or cranberry sauce.
When the rice is cooked, combine it with the ingredients in the bowl. Stir in the vinaigrette dressing.
Refrigerate the salad for at least 15 minutes and up to 2 days. Just before serving, stir in the pecans. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook the rice, chop and refrigerate the turkey, slice the celery and scallions, toast and chop the pecans, or fully prepare and refrigerate the salad (and top with the pecans when ready to serve).
Scramble Flavor Booster: Squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over the salad before serving.
Tip: Sometimes when I toast pecans for a recipe, I throw an extra handful in there as we love to munch on them as a snack or stir them into plain Greek yogurt with a little maple syrup to sweeten it.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 345, Total Fat: 13g, 20%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 9%; Cholesterol: 33mg, 11%; Sodium: 58mg, 2%; Total Carbohydrate: 40g, 13%; Dietary Fiber: 5g, 21%; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 19g
Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!