Do you love popcorn but depend on the pre-packaged microwave stuff? I’m going to show you how easy it is to make perfect popcorn on the stove in minutes and share some creative popcorn seasoning ideas. You’ll never go back to microwave popcorn again!
Don’t worry about the oil and butter on the popcorn you make at home—for most of us, it’s the processed, chemically fake yellow stuff that we need to worry about more. Ever heard of popcorn lung? It’s a thing—look it up.
Basic popcorn recipe
8 servings (about 1 1/2 cups each)
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
2 – 3 Tbsp. canola, vegetable or coconut oil for popping
2 – 3 Tbsp. melted butter, coconut oil or olive oil to toss with popcorn
1/2 – 3/4 tsp. popcorn salt, to taste
1. Heat a heavy pot over medium-high heat, add the oil and the popcorn kernels and shake the kernels around to coat.
2. Cover the pot leaving the lid a tiny bit ajar to let the steam escape. When the kernels start popping, reduce the heat to medium and shake the pot occasionally to make sure the unpopped kernels make it to the bottom of the pan.
3. When the popping slows to every 5 seconds or so, remove the pan from the heat, shake it again and cover it for one more minute to make sure all or most of the kernels are popped.
4. Alternatively, use an air popper.
5. Transfer the popcorn to a large bowl, toss it with the melted butter or oil, salt and desired seasonings.
Popcorn topping ideas:
In addition to the butter or salt, toss popped popcorn with:
• Curry Lime: 1 – 2 tsp. curry powder, zest of 1 lime (about 1 tsp.). Stir in juice of 1/2 – 1 fresh lime for even more lime flavor.
• Parmesan Rosemary: freshly grated Parmesan cheese to taste (about 1/4 cup, 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary, freshly ground black pepper.
• Barbecue: 1 tsp. smoked paprika, 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
• Zaatar: Toss with 1 Tbsp. zaatar seasoning blend. Consider using olive oil instead of butter.
Other delicious popcorn seasonings (use instead of salt)
• Old Bay seasoning
• Cajun seasoning
• Soy sauce
• Nutritional or brewer’s yeast
• Ranch seasoning
• Taco seasoning
• Truffle oil and Parmesan cheese
• Garlic powder or garlic salt
• Ground coffee beans, cocoa beans and sugar or cinnamon
For another delicous alternative, try our Kettle Corn recipe. It’s way tastier (and better for you) than what you can buy at local fairs and markets.
What other seasonings or toppings do you like on your homemade popcorn?