3-ingredient Spicy-Sweet Barbecue Shrimp
This recipe takes all of 5 minutes to prep, and cooking it is hardly any effort, so you can conserve your energy for herding children, changing the laundry, or something more glamorous like reading a magazine while enjoying a glass of Malbec. Shrimp are family and diet-friendly—they pack a lot of flavor and protein without too many calories, and if you buy US farmed shrimp they are healthy and sustainable, too (I avoid shrimp imported from Asia).
- 1 lb. medium or large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce (store-bought or homemade) see the Do Ahead for homemade directions
- 2 Tbsp sriracha (Vietnamese hot sauce) or use your favorite hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine all 3 ingredients and toss to coat. Marinate it for about 10 minutes until the oven is hot.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop the shrimp out of the sauce and spread it onto the baking sheet.
- Bake the shrimp for 6 – 8 minutes, turning once, until they are just firm and cooked through. (Alternatively you can grill them for 2 – 3 minutes per side.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Make the barbecue sauce if preparing your own or The Scramble’s version, make the marinade and marinate the shrimp in the refrigerator. Scramble Flavor Booster: Serve with plenty of freshly ground pepper and/or toss the shrimp with 2 – 4 Tbsp. sliced scallions before serving. Tip: If you are thawing shrimp, you’ll know that they are adequately thawed if they bend easily and are slightly translucent. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 154, Total Fat: 2g, 3%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 2%; Cholesterol: 173mg, 52.5%; Sodium: 633mg, 26.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 9g, 3%; Dietary Fiber: 0g, 0%; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 23g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!