Baked Coconut-Ginger Chicken
Scramble subscriber Jill Thaxton of Del Rio, Texas threw together this Thai flavored chicken and the result was Thai-licious! It's creamy, savory, and just a tiny bit sweet.
- 2 1/2 - 3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion coarsely chopped
- 14 oz. light unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed) or use any variety
- 1 Tbsp. mango chutney or Chinese duck sauce, plus additional for serving
- 4 cloves garlic minced, about 1 Tbsp.
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 lime cut into wedges, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half crosswise (the short way) and lay them in the pan in a single layer. Top them evenly with the onions.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining ingredients except the lime. Whisk it together and pour it evenly over the chicken and onions.
- Bake the chicken for 30 - 35 minutes until it is just cooked through, turning the chicken once after about 20 minutes. Serve it with the lime wedges.
- Place all ingredients except chicken into slow cooker and stir to combine. Then place chicken into slow cooker, and turn over several times so that it will absorb the sauce. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. Serve chicken topped with sauce. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Chop the onion, peel the garlic, peel and mince the ginger, combine (and refrigerate) the ingredients for the sauce. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use the cilantro and add 1/2 tsp. chili garlic paste, Asian chili sauce, or crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce before baking the chicken. Tip: Cutting boneless chicken breasts in half crosswise (the short way) helps them cook more quickly and evenly. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 230, Total Fat: 8g, 12%; Saturated Fat: 6g, 30%; Cholesterol: 80mg, 27%; Sodium: 280mg, 12%; Total Carbohydrate: 6g, 2%; Dietary Fiber: 1g, 4%; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 34g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!