Baked Italian-Style Chicken with Tomatoes and Onions
Scramble member Gretchen Douglas of Marietta, Georgia, sent me this idea for a terrific baked chicken. Scramble recipe tester Samantha McKenzie said, “We tried the recipe the other night and loved it! My 9-year-old said 'it deserves a 10' and 'I want it more often'. My 5-year-old said 'It deserves a 12' and 'yummy'!
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 lbs. bone-in chicken thighs with skin, or use skinless thighs
- 1 yellow onion halved and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced, about 2 tsp.
- 14 1/2 oz. no salt added diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 14 1/2 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. bay leaf
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil, and when it is hot, add the chicken skin side down. Cook it without moving it for 3 – 4 minutes or until the skin is browned, flip, and repeat on the other side.
- Transfer the chicken to a glass or ceramic baking dish that is just large enough to hold it in one layer.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions to the pan, cook them for about 2 minutes until they start to brown, and add the garlic. After about 30 seconds or when the garlic is fragrant, add the remaining ingredients, bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer it for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the tomato and onion mixture over the chicken, transfer it to the oven, and bake it, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- After removing the chicken from the oven, remove the bay leaf. Serve it immediately, refrigerate it for up to 3 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Put the onions in the slow cooker, top them with the chicken, and all the remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 8 – 10 hours or on high for 4 – 5 hours until the chicken separates easily from the bone. Remove the bay leaf before serving. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Halve and slice the onion, peel the garlic, combine the diced tomatoes through the black pepper, or fully prepare and refrigerate or freeze the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1 Tbsp. capers or 2 Tbsp. chopped green olives with the tomatoes. Tip: Reduce the calories per serving by 250 and the fat by about 25 grams by using skinless chicken thighs Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 476, Total Fat: 32g, 49%; Saturated Fat: 9g, 44%; Cholesterol: 163mg, 54%; Sodium: 273mg, 11.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 11g, 3.5%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 9%; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 35g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!