Broccoli, Sausage, and Cheddar Quiche
This quiche is as easy-as-pie and packed with flavor. Scramble recipe tester Jennifer Doig also points out that it makes excellent leftovers!
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. . pre-cooked turkey, chicken, or vegetarian sausage, any variety (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed), diced
- 10 oz. frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 prepared 9-inch pie crust (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup low fat milk (or use any variety)
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the sausage for 5 - 7 minutes, tossing occasionally, until it is lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, thaw the broccoli in the microwave or on the stovetop, according to package directions, and drain it thoroughly (I use the bottom of a bowl to press the liquid through a colander). Smooth the pie crust into a 9-inch pie dish and trim the edges with a paring knife.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. Whisk in the milk, mustard, salt, and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the sausage on the bottom of the pie crust. Top it evenly with the broccoli and cheese. Slowly and evenly pour the egg mixture over everything.
- Place the quiche on a baking sheet to catch any spills. Bake it for 40 - 45 minutes until it is cooked through and very firm. For a browner top, put the quiche under the broiler for the last 2 - 3 minutes of cooking. Let it cool for 5 - 10 minutes before cutting it into wedges, or let it cool completely and refrigerate it for up to 3 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Directions
- To make a crustless quiche: Use a 3 – 4 qt. slow cooker and omit the oil and the crust. Whisk together the eggs, milk, and spices in the slow cooker, then add the cheese, sausage, and frozen broccoli and stir to combine. Cook on low for 4 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Dice and cook the sausage and refrigerate, thaw the broccoli, combine the spices, make and refrigerate the egg mixture, shred the cheese if necessary and refrigerate, or fully prepare and refrigerate or freeze the quiche. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use spicy sausage, double the dry mustard and black pepper, and spread 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard on the bottom of the crust before filling it. Tip: If you're not sure whether your quiche is fully cooked, insert a knife into the center and, if it comes out clean, it's ready. Also, the quiche should feel firm and not "jiggle" when you remove it from the oven. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 260, Total Fat: 17g, 26%; Saturated Fat: 5g, 23%; Cholesterol: 115mg, 38%; Sodium: 310mg, 13%; Total Carbohydrate: 14g, 5%; Dietary Fiber: 1g, 4%; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 13g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!