Chicken (or Chicken-Less) Tortilla Soup
This is a winning recipe from Scramble member Diane Ray of Carrollton, Texas. It is unbelievably quick, delicious and full of protein and fiber. This is a good recipe for the kids to help prepare, and they can embellish their own bowls of soup at the table to their tastes with the optional toppings listed below. Vegetarians can leave out the chicken altogether or use diced extra-firm tofu instead.
- 10 oz. mild or spicy enchilada sauce
- 15 oz. reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or use any variety)
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels, fresh, frozen, or canned, with their liquid, if using canned
- 15 oz. reduced-sodium canned black beans (or use any variety)(or use 1 1/2 cups home-cooked beans for every 15 oz. can), drained and rinsed
- 1 cups large tomato about 1 1/2 cups total, or use 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast or extra-firm tofu, diced if using chicken, drained, wrapped in a clean dish towel to remove excess moisture, and diced if using tofu (see directions below) (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese for serving
- 1 cup tortilla chips (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)(store bought or homemade), for serving (use the broken chips from the bottom of the bag)
- 1 avocado diced, for serving (optional)
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (or use any variety) for serving (optional)
- 1/2 lime cut into wedges, for serving (optional)
- 1/4 white onion diced, for serving (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped, for serving (optional)
- Cook the chicken first, if necessary, and refrigerate (see directions below).
- In a medium stockpot over medium heat, combine the enchilada sauce, broth, corn, beans, tomatoes, and chicken or tofu (optional). Stir to combine and heat through to just below boiling.
- Meanwhile, put the cheese, chips, and any optional toppings in small serving bowls at the table. Serve the soup hot, stirring in whatever toppings you like.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- In the slow cooker combine the enchilada sauce, broth, corn, beans, tomatoes and chicken or tofu Cook on low for 6 - 10 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. This is a recipe that can easily be left simmering on low all day. Serve the soup as directed above. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook, dice, and refrigerate the chicken if using, drain, dice, and refrigerate the tofu if using, dice the tomato if using fresh, shred the cheese if necessary and refrigerate, cut the lime, dice the onion and chop the cilantro, if using. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use spicy enchilada sauce or fire-roasted tomatoes, Pepper Jack cheese and/or serve the soup with hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco. Tip: To make your own seasoned chicken or tofu, cut one boneless, skinless chicken breast half (1/3-1/2 lb.) or 1/2 block of tofu into bite-sized pieces and season the pieces with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook the chicken flipping often, until it is no longer pink inside, 5 - 7 minutes. Remove it from the heat and add it to the soup. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 380, Total Fat: 11g, 17%; Saturated Fat: 5g, 23%; Cholesterol: 60mg, 20%; Sodium: 1230mg, 51%; Total Carbohydrate: 45g, 15%; Dietary Fiber: 7g, 28%; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 30g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!