Cobb Salad with Bacon, Avocado, and Blue Cheese
This salad is packed with different flavors and textures, which makes it really fun. If your kids aren’t eating salad yet, you can serve it with extra hard-boiled eggs, and make a little plate for them with elements of the salad for them to taste.
- 2 hard-boiled eggs sliced
- 8 - 10 slices turkey, pork, or vegetarian bacon
- 1 small head romaine lettuce chopped about 8 cups total
- 2 tomatoes chopped, or use 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 avocado peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup cup balsamic vinaigrette dressing (store-bought or homemade), store-bought or homemade (see recipe below)
- Hard-boil the eggs, if necessary. Cook the bacon over medium heat in a skillet, turning it occasionally, until it is crisp, about 8 minutes. Remove it to a paper towel to drain it. Chop or crumble it into small pieces.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss them thoroughly.
Orange Balsamic Vinaigrette Directions
- To make orange balsamic vinaigrette, in a large measuring cup or jar, thoroughly whisk (or shake) 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/8 cup orange juice, 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar, and 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed). Add 1/2 tsp. dried herbs, if desired. You can refrigerate extra dressing to use on your next salad.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook the eggs if necessary and refrigerate, cook, crumble, and refrigerate the bacon, chop the romaine and refrigerate, chop the tomatoes or defrost the corn if using frozen, crumble the cheese if necessary and refrigerate, prepare the dressing if making homemade. Scramble Flavor Booster: Top the salad with plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Tip: For a more stylish presentation, put the lettuce in the salad bowl first and then put the bacon, eggs, tomatoes, avocado, and cheese in stripes across the top. Dress and toss it at the table after everyone has oohed and aahed or serve the dressing on the side. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 310, Total Fat: 19g, 30%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 15%; Cholesterol: 35mg, 12%; Sodium: 460mg, 19%; Total Carbohydrate: 18g, 6%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 12%; Sugar: 9g; Protein: 18g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!