Cornbread Stuffing with Pomegranate Seeds
This recipe is inspired by one on the POM Wonderful web site from a few years ago. We tinkered with it a bit to make it healthier and it’s heavenly on the Thanksgiving table. You can make the stuffing up to a day ahead and heat it in the oven before dinner.
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 – 3 stalks celery chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 – 4 scallions sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 12 oz. cornbread stuffing mix
- 4 Tbsp. butter or margarine melted
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 20 oz. reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- To remove the pomegranate seeds from the fruit, deeply score the pomegranate and place it in a bowl of water. Break it open underwater to free the seeds (also called arils). Keep breaking and freeing seeds until they’re released from the pomegranate’s skin. Remove the white membranes that are floating in the water and drain the seeds. Reserve 1 cup of seeds and refrigerate the remainder for another use (or, if you’re like me, eat them immediately).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a large round casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté the apricots, cranberries, celery, and scallions for about 5 minutes until softened. Remove them from the heat.
- Place the stuffing mix in a large bowl; add the apricot mixture, pomegranate seeds, melted butter, egg, and broth, and mix well.
- Smooth the stuffing mixture into the casserole and cover it with foil. Bake it for 25 minutes, remove the foil, and return it to the oven for 15 more minutes or until the stuffing is golden brown.
Nutritional Information per serving(% based upon daily values): 190 calories, 6 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 32 g carbohydrate, 62 mg cholesterol, 332 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Thanksgiving Dinner Survival Guide: 10 Steps to a Calmer Feast
Wednesday 18th of November 2020
[…] the meal. Examples include: cornbread and/or biscuits, cranberry sauce, pies, vegetable sides, stuffing, and […]