Couscous Salad with Chickpeas and Apricot Vinaigrette
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or use any variety)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt sea salt, or other coarse salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups couscous, or use quinoa for a gluten-free option
- 6 Tbsp. apricot preserves or jam
- 4 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 15 oz. canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans)(or use 1 1/2 cups home-cooked chickpeas for every 15 oz. can), drained and rinsed
- 1 bell pepper chopped, any color
- 2 scallions dark and light green parts, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds or shelled pistachios
- 2 Tbsp. fresh mint, parsley, or basil chopped (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the broth or water, butter, and 1/4 tsp. each of salt and pepper, and bring it to a boil.
- Add the couscous, stir, cover with a tight fitting lid, and remove from the heat. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the apricot preserves, oil, vinegar, ¼ tsp. salt, and a dash of black pepper (if desired).
- In a serving bowl, combine the couscous, chickpeas, bell peppers, scallions, and apricot vinaigrette. Toss it well, and then stir in nuts, and fresh herbs (optional). Serve the salad warm or at room temperature, or refrigerate it for up 24 hours.