Crispy Oven-Fried Corn Flake Chicken
Your family is going to love this oven-fried chicken! The meat is moist and flavorful and the crunchy breading is irresistibly tangy.
- 2 cups reduced-fat buttermilk (or use any variety
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 whole chicken cut up or use 8 - 12 bone-in chicken pieces of your choice (about 4 lbs.), skin removed
- 4 cups corn flakes cereal crushed (use a rolling pin to crush but not pulverize) about 2 cups
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed),
- 1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning or use a combination of salt, pepper, dry mustard, and paprika
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, garlic powder, hot pepper sauce, and salt.
- Add the chicken, turn it to coat it well, cover the bowl with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and refrigerate it for at least 2 hours, or overnight if possible.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, parchment paper, or a silicone nonstick mat, if desired.
- Coat a wire rack with nonstick cooking spray, and set it on top of the baking sheet to elevate the chicken. (If you don’t have a wire rack, spray the baking sheet or foil with nonstick cooking spray, place the chicken directly on it, and carefully flip the chicken halfway through the cooking.)
- In a shallow bowl or plate, gently combine the corn flakes, panko, and Old Bay seasoning. Stir in the oil and gently toss until the crumbs are lightly coated.
- Drain the chicken from the marinade and dredge each piece in the corn flake mixture, pressing the coating firmly onto all sides of the chicken. Place the chicken on the wire rack.
- Bake it for 40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the coating is a deep golden brown. Serve it immediately.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cut up the chicken and remove the skin if necessary and refrigerate, make the marinade and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator, crush the cereal, make the breading mixture. Scramble Flavor Booster: Double the hot sauce and add ¼ - ½ tsp. black pepper to the corn flake mixture. Tip: To remove chicken skin, grasp the skin firmly and pull it off in one piece. If needed, use a sharp knife to remove any remaining skin. You can also grasp the chicken skin with a paper towel as that may give you a better grip. Remember to wash your hands thoroughly after handling raw chicken or meat. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 221, Total Fat: 6g, 9%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 7%; Cholesterol: 104mg, 34.5%; Sodium: 235mg, 10%; Total Carbohydrate: 8g, 3%; Dietary Fiber: 0g, 1%; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 33g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!