Curried Chicken Salad with Grapes
- 1 - 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup low fat plain yogurt or use any variety
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise or use any variety
- 1/2 lemon juice only, about 2 Tbsp.
- 2 Tbsp. mango chutney or apricot jam
- 2 - 3 tsp. curry powder
- 2 stalks celery finely diced
- 1 cup seedless red grapes halved, or use chopped apple, mango or pineapple
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachio nuts or slivered almonds or use coarsely chopped pecans (optional)
- 12 slices whole wheat bread or rolls (use wheat/gluten-free bread, if needed) (optional)
- 1 head lettuce (optional)
- Place the chicken in a large heavy skillet with a lid and add just enough water to cover it.
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and poach the chicken (steam it on a low boil) for 7 - 10 minutes, until it is just cooked through (check by cutting into the thickest piece of chicken to make sure it is no longer pink).
- Rinse the chicken under cold water until it is cool. Dice the chicken into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, chutney or jam, and curry powder.
- Stir in the chicken, celery, grapes, and nuts (optional). Serve it immediately on the bread and/or over greens, if desired, or refigerate it for up to 48 hours.