Skip to Content

East Meets West Stir Fry

Sharing is caring!

Broccoli Chickpea and Red Onion Stir-Fry, East Meets West Stir-Fry 1200-6959

East Meets West Stir Fry

Jessica Braider
This unconventional recipe has been a surprise hit in Scramble houses around the country! By combining Italian and Asian flavors in the sauce, the recipe links the traditionally Italian ingredients with the Asian preparation.
Cook Time 20 mins
Total Time 20 mins
Servings 6 servings

Ingredients
  

  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
  • 1 red onion quartered and sliced
  • 1 lb. broccoli florets and sliced stems
  • 3 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce (use wheat/gluten-free if needed)
  • 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
  • 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. black pepper to taste
  • 15 oz. canned chickpeas drained and rinsed, or use 2 1/2 cups homemade beans, garbanzo beans
  • 2 cups cooked brown rice frozen rice works perfectly for this, or use 3/4 cups uncooked rice

Instructions
 

  • (Prepare the rice, if using uncooked rice rather than frozen.) Heat a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat and add the canola oil.
  • When it is hot, add the onions, stir-fry them for 2 minutes, then add the broccoli, toss it to coat, and cover it for 3 minutes to steam it, reducing the heat to medium.
  • Remove the cover and cook the broccoli and onions for 3 more minutes until they are getting tender.
  • Meanwhile, make the sauce by combining the soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and pepper.
  • Add the chickpeas and the sauce to the pan and stir-fry everything for 3 more minutes. (Meanwhile, heat the rice, following the package directions or microwave it if you made it yourself.)
  • Stir in the rice, toss everything to coat evenly, and serve it immediately, or refrigerate it for up to 3 days.

Slow Cooker Directions

  • Combine all ingredients except the rice in the slow cooker and cook on low for 3 – 4 hours. Stir well to combine, and serve over cooked rice. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)

Notes

Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook the chickpeas if using homemade, quarter and slice the onion, cut the broccoli, prepare the sauce, cook or thaw the rice, or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish.
Scramble Flavor Booster: Use hot chili sesame oil instead of toasted, serve it with sriracha hot sauce, add 2 cloves minced garlic with the broccoli.
Tip: For a flavorful twist, toss the broccoli and chickpeas with 2 Tbsp. olive oil and roast them for 10 – 15 minutes on a baking sheet at 400 degrees before adding them to the stir-fry (you can skip the step of steaming the broccoli if you roast it).
Video: Watch Jessica make it on Facebook Live!
Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 228, Total Fat: 6g, 8.5%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 2.5%; Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%; Sodium: 313mg, 13%; Total Carbohydrate: 36g, 12%; Dietary Fiber: 7g, 25%; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 9g
Want to make chickpeas from scratch? Check out our post on how to make beans in the slow cooker or Instant Pot pressure cooker.
Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Recipe Rating




0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop