Greek Chicken (or Chickpea) Sandwiches with Yogurt-Cucumber Sauce
This fresh and delicious sandwich is perfect for a weeknight meal or weekend family lunch.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 15 oz. canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed if using the beans
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper or to taste
- 1 cup low fat plain yogurt (or use any variety)
- 2 cloves garlic minced, about 1 tsp.
- 2 tsp. fresh mint, oregano, or dill, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. honey
- 1/2 cup cucumber peeled, seeded, and finely diced or shredded 1 total
- 4 whole wheat or white pita pockets (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 tomato diced
- Cut the chicken into 1/2-inch wide strips and toss it with the oil, salt, and pepper. (If using chickpeas, warm them in the microwave or on the stovetop with the oil and pepper, but omit the salt, and skip the next paragraph entirely.)
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken until it is browned on the outside and no longer pink in the middle, turning occasionally, 5 - 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium serving bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic, fresh herbs, honey, and cucumbers.
- Warm the pita in the microwave or conventional oven (10 – 15 minutes at 300 degrees, wrapped in foil if using the conventional oven) to soften it.
- Assemble the sandwiches at the table by stuffing or wrapping the chicken (or chickpeas) in the pita pockets and topping it with the yogurt sauce and tomatoes. Serve immediately so they can be enjoyed slightly warm.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cut the chicken, toss it with the oil, salt, and pepper and refrigerate, peel the garlic, chop the fresh herbs, peel and dice or shred the cucumber, make the yogurt sauce and refrigerate, dice the tomato. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use lots of fresh herbs in the yogurt sauce, and season the chicken with freshly ground black pepper before cooking it. Tip: If you want this sandwich to be a little less messy opt for stuffing the chicken and other ingredients into the pita pocket and look for very fresh and soft pita bread that won’t easily rip. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 370, Total Fat: 6g, 9%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 5%; Cholesterol: 65mg, 22%; Sodium: 450mg, 19%; Total Carbohydrate: 42g, 14%; Dietary Fiber: 2g, 8%; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 36g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!