Irresistible Honey-Curry Chicken
This is a wonderful chicken recipe, from Scramble recipe tester Nancy Bolen of Raleigh, North Carolina. Both Nancy’s and my sometimes-picky children gobbled it up!
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 lemon juice only, 2 Tbsp. juice
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon or yellow mustard (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 - 8 pieces bone-in chicken, any variety, remove skin for a lower fat version
- 1 tsp. cornstarch optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a small saucepan, melt the butter or margarine over medium heat.
- Once it’s melted, add the next six ingredients (orange juice through salt) to the pot and whisk them together. Remove it from the heat.
- Place the chicken in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Pour the sauce evenly over the chicken, reserving the unwashed saucepan if you intend to make the optional richer sauce.
- Bake it for 45 – 50 minutes, basting it occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through.
- When the chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the oven and put it on a serving plate. Pour the sauce from the bottom of the baking pan into a serving bowl to serve with the chicken and potatoes.
- Optional step for a richer sauce: In the reserved saucepan, whisk together the cornstarch and 1/3 cup cold water. Add the sauce from the chicken to the cornstarch mixture and set it over medium-high heat. Bring it to a boil, and cook it, stirring often, until it thickens, about 2 minutes.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Omit the butter or margarine. Place all ingredients except the chicken into the slow cooker and whisk until smooth. Add the chicken, turning to coat, then cook on low for 8 - 10 hours or on high for 4 - 5 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Combine the orange juice, lemon, honey, mustard, curry powder, and salt and refrigerate, remove the skin from the chicken if desired and refrigerate the chicken. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1/8 tsp. black pepper to the sauce. Tip: Most of the fat and calories in poultry resides in its skin. For easy skin trimming, use a kitchen scissors (wash the scissors in hot sudsy water when you are done). Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 220, Total Fat: 6g, 9%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 13%; Cholesterol: 110mg, 37%; Sodium: 230mg, 10%; Total Carbohydrate: 5g, 2%; Dietary Fiber: 0g, 0%; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 34g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!