Molly's Spiced Chicken Quesadillas
Molly Rubel of Bethesda, Maryland, started making these superb chicken quesadillas for her family when she was 10 years old. Your family will love them, too.
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts sliced into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 1 red onion diced
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 8 whole wheat flour, or corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, or Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups baby arugula or baby spinach optional
- 1 cup salsa (look for brands with no sugar added), for serving
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Spray a large heavy skillet with nonstick cooking spray, add the oil, and heat it over medium heat.
- Sauté the chicken and onions until the chicken is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spices and cook it for 1 - 2 more minutes. Remove the chicken mixture from the heat.
- Heat a large skillet (clean the one you were using or use a new one) over medium heat and spray it with nonstick cooking spray (or use a nonstick skillet).
- Place a tortilla in the pan and cover half of it with a handful of cheese, topped with a layer of chicken and arugula or spinach (optional). Fold the tortilla in half, and repeat with a second tortilla, so that each quesadilla’s curved edge is pointed toward the outside of the skillet.
- Cook them on each side until they are golden brown, 3 – 4 minutes per side. Carefully transfer the cooked quesadillas to a baking sheet in the preheated oven so they stay warm until all the quesadillas are cooked. Slice each quesadilla in half or in wedges and serve with salsa.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Omit the oil. Combine the chicken, onions, and spices in the slow cooker and cook on low for 5 - 6 hours or on high for 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Assemble and cook the quesadillas in the skillet as directed. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Slice and refrigerate the chicken, dice the onion, combine the spices, shred the cheese if necessary and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use hot-Mexican or chipotle chili powder instead of traditional chili powder, and use the Pepper Jack cheese. Tip: We like to use a pizza cutter to cut quesadillas into wedges. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 410, Total Fat: 18g, 28%; Saturated Fat: 6g, 30%; Cholesterol: 80mg, 27%; Sodium: 450mg, 19%; Total Carbohydrate: 29g, 10%; Dietary Fiber: 6g, 24%; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 32g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!