Moroccan Chicken with Red Peppers and Carrots
This flavorful chicken is slightly sweet and smells and tastes wonderful. Scramble recipe tester Debbie Firestone and her family rated this recipe a 10 out of 10!
- 1/4 cup currants or raisins
- 1/4 cup currant jelly or use apricot jelly or jam
- 1/4 cup white wine or use chicken broth mixed with 1 tsp. vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce (or use any variety) (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 carrots sliced
- In a small bowl, combine the currants or raisins, jelly, wine, soy sauce, curry, and cinnamon. Set it aside.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. When it is hot, add the chicken pieces, peppers, and carrots, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is fully cooked, about 8 minutes.
- Stir the currant mixture into the skillet and cook for about 2 more minutes or until the sauce is slightly thickened. Serve it immediately, or refrigerate it for up to 24 hours.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Omit the oil. Combine the currants or raisins, jelly, wine, soy sauce, and spices in the slow cooker and stir to combine. Add the remaining ingredients and cook on low for 7 - 9 hours or on high for 3 1/2 – 4 1/2 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Make the currant mixture, chop the chicken and refrigerate, chop the bell pepper, slice the carrots, or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Double the curry powder and cinnamon. Tip: If you have a half a bottle of wine and you don't plan to drink it but don’t want it to go to waste, try freezing it in an ice cube tray. The you can use the cubes as needed in sauces. Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be! Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 330, Total Fat: 6g, 9%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 5%; Cholesterol: 100mg, 33%; Sodium: 790mg, 33%; Total Carbohydrate: 25g, 8%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 12%; Sugar: 17g; Protein: 42g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!