Moroccan Roasted Root Vegetables with Chickpeas
I love the challenge of making meals and snacks with what we have on hand without being able to go to the store. I brought this one-tray dish to a neighborhood potluck and, when a bunch of people asked me to share the recipe, I knew it was a hit. Scramble recipe tester Debbie Falkow said, “I loved the fragrant scent of the spices while it baked, and the raisins which absorbed the liquid became juicy and sweet.”
- 2 lbs. root vegetables, such as carrots, sweet potatoes (peeled or unpeeled), and beets (peeled), cut into ¾-inch pieces about 8 cups
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juice only, about 2 Tbsp.
- 2 cloves garlic minced, about 1 tsp.
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 15 oz. canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans)(or use 1 1/2 cups home-cooked chickpeas for every 15 oz. can), drained and rinsed, or use 1 ½ cups homemade chickpeas
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup raisins depending on how sweet you want the dish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Put the root vegetables and onions in a large bowl.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, garlic, curry powder, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, and salt. Pour the marinade over the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Spread the vegetables on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast them for 20 minutes, then remove them from the oven, add the chickpeas and raisins to the pan, and toss everything.
- Bake it for 15 – 20 more minutes until the vegetables are tender and starting to brown. Transfer them to a serving bowl, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately or refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker and stir until the liquid and spices are well distributed. Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours, until vegetables reach desired level of tenderness. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Peel the beets (and/or other root vegetables, if desired), chop the vegetables and the onion, juice the lemon, peel the garlic, combine the spices, make the marinade and marinate the vegetables, or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper with the other spices, and season the finished dish with lemon pepper seasoning. Tip: Smoked paprika uses chilies that have been dried over wood fires. It provides a smoky, woodsy flavor. If you don’t have smoked paprika, a similar tasting spice is chipotle chili powder. (Keep in mind though that the chipotle chili powder has much more heat than smoked paprika, so you may want to reduce the amount you use.) Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 265, Total Fat: 10g, 15.5%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 6.5%; Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%; Sodium: 314mg, 13%; Total Carbohydrate: 39g, 13%; Dietary Fiber: 8g, 31.5%; Sugar: 13g; Protein: 7g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!