North African Shakshuka (Love Shack-shuka)
As long as you have eggs and a can of tomatoes, you can adapt this recipe, which is inspired by one from Melissa Clark in The New York Times, to the contents of your kitchen. Instead of zucchini use bell peppers or eggplant. Shakshuka, which is so fun to say, is a popular breakfast in North Africa and the Middle East, but we love to eat it for dinner.
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini halved and thinly sliced, or use a bell pepper or small eggplant
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 28 oz. canned whole or diced plum tomatoes with their juices, coarsely chopped if using whole
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese (about 1 cup)
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or basil leaves chopped, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large heavy ovenproof skillet, preferably cast iron, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and zucchini, and sauté for 8 – 10 minutes until they are tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the cumin, paprika, and cayenne, and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices along with the salt and pepper, and simmer until the tomatoes have thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the feta.
- Gently crack the eggs evenly over the tomatoes, so they are placed in different areas around the skillet. Season with a pinch of coarse salt.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the eggs are just set, 7 - 8 minutes (they will continue to cook for a couple of minutes after you remove them from the oven). Sprinkle it with the fresh herbs and serve immediately, refrigerate it for up to 3 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months. (Please see the Tip below for freezing guidelines.)
Slow Cooker Directions
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker except the feta, eggs, and fresh herbs. Cook on low for 6 - 7 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. Stir in the feta, then gently break the eggs on top. Cover and cook for about 30 more minutes, until the eggs are done to desired level. Serve topped with the herbs sprinkled on top. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Halve and slice the onion and the zucchini, slice the garlic, combine the cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper, chop the tomatoes, crumble the cheese if necessary and refrigerate, chop the cilantro if using (the basil will brown if chopped in advance), or fully prepare the recipe with the exception of the eggs and refrigerate or freeze it. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use smoked paprika instead of regular paprika. Serve it with hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco or sriracha. Tip: Before you freeze this dish, divide it into portions. Just transfer the amount you want from the freezer to the refrigerator the night or morning before you plan to eat it to let it thaw. Then heat it on the stove or in the microwave and poach the egg(s). Voila - quick, easy, and healthful. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 177, Total Fat: 12g, 17.5%; Saturated Fat: 4g, 21%; Cholesterol: 199mg, 66%; Sodium: 393mg, 16.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 10g, 3.5%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 11.5%; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 10g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!