Orange Cardamom Grilled Chicken
In my opinion, chicken thighs are the absolute best part of the chicken. They are ideal for grilling because they are relatively evenly shaped and don’t dry out because of their dark meat. They have ample meat on them so they can easily be eaten with fork and knife or picked up and gnawed on (I prefer a combination of both). This marinade gives the chicken a slight Indian flavor, but nothing so strong that your picky eaters will reject. If you prefer a larger portion, but want to keep calories and fat in check, remove the skin.
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce (or use any variety) (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 2 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 4 cloves garlic minced, about 2 tsp.
- 12 bone-in chicken thighs with or without skin
- In a flat dish with sides, whisk together all the ingredients except the chicken. Add the thighs and flip them several times to coat, leaving them skin down (if keeping the skin on). Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days (the longer you marinate, the more flavorful it will be), turning occasionally.
- If using a grill (an indoor alternative is to use the broiler, starting with the skin side down), oil the grates so the chicken won’t stick. Preheat the grill to medium heat (or preheat the broiler). When the grill is hot, place the chicken on the grill, and set aside the marinade for serving.
- Grill the chicken for 8 - 10 minutes, depending on desired doneness, until it is browned on the side that’s facing down (or facing up if you are using the broiler).
- Flip the chicken and cook it for 8 - 10 more minutes until it is thoroughly cooked.
- Put the reserved marinade in a small saucepan, bring it to a boil and boil it for 2 minutes. Strain it (I use a fine metal strainer) into a small serving bowl. Serve the chicken immediately with the sauce or refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
Slow Cooker Directions
- There's no need to marinate the chicken in advance. In the slow cooker, whisk together all the ingredients except the chicken. Add the chicken and flip to coat. Cook on low for 5 - 6 hours or on high for 3 - 3 1/2 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Instant Pot Directions
- Increase the orange juice to 3/4 cup. Combine marinade ingredients in the Instant Pot. Add the chicken thighs to marinade, turning several times to coat well. Cook on HIGH pressure for 15 minutes. Finish with Natural Pressure Release. (Click here for Instant Pot tips and a list of Scramble recipes that have IP conversions.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Peel and chop or grate the ginger, peel the garlic, make the marinade and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator, or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add a pinch of red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to the marinade. Tip: Poking small holes in the chicken with a fork prior to marinating it will help the marinade penetrate the chicken and make the finished dish more flavorful. This can be done with beef as well. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 390, Total Fat: 25g, 38%; Saturated Fat: 7g, 32%; Cholesterol: 135mg, 45%; Sodium: 359mg, 15%; Total Carbohydrate: 3g, 1%; Dietary Fiber: 0g, 0%; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 37g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!