Pappardelle with Artichokes and Fresh Mozzarella
The trick of this recipe is using the liquid from the marinated artichokes as well as the artichokes themselves - the flavor is awesome and the creaminess of the fresh mozzarella offsets the tanginess in the best possible way.
- 16 oz. pappardelle or tagliatelle pasta (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 12 oz. marinated artichokes, with their liquid
- 2 - 4 cloves garlic minced, about 2 tsp.
- 1 tomato diced, or use 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese diced
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to the package directions.
- When the water for the pasta is starting to get hot, heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat, and add the artichokes and their liquid, the garlic, the tomatoes with any juices, and bring it to a boil.
- Simmer it for about 10 minutes until some of the liquid evaporates, but if it is getting anywhere close to dry remove it from the heat.
- Drain the pasta, letting some of the liquid cling to it, add it to the skillet with the artichoke mixture, and toss gently. Season it with the salt, remove it from the heat, and let it cool for a minute, then fold in the cheese. Serve it immediately.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook the pasta and store tossed with a little oil to prevent sticking, peel the garlic, dice the tomato if using fresh, dice the cheese and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Serve it with crushed red pepper flakes and/or salt-free lemon pepper seasoning. Tip: Pappardelle are flat ribbons of pasta and hold up well with hearty sauces. If you have a hard time finding pappardelle, tagliatelle is a good substitute. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 354, Total Fat: 12g, 18.5%; Saturated Fat: 4g, 20%; Cholesterol: 15mg, 5%; Sodium: 207mg, 8.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 48g, 15.5%; Dietary Fiber: 4g, 13.5%; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 15g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!