Penne with Smoked Sausage, Tomatoes, and Peppers
This recipe comes from Scramble fan Sara Emley. It’s a good recipe to experiment with and adapt to your own taste - try adding capers or olives, for example, or use meatless sausage.
- 16 oz. whole wheat penne or other short pasta (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion halved and sliced
- 2 green bell peppers sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced, about 1 tsp.
- 8 - 10 oz. pre-cooked smoked chicken, turkey, or vegetarian sausage (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed), halved and sliced
- 28 - 30 oz. Italian-style diced tomatoes with their liquid
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese or to taste
- Prepare the noodles according to the package directions. While the water is heating for the pasta, heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onions, peppers, and garlic until they are softened, 5 - 8 minutes.
- Add the sausage to the skillet and sauté the mixture for 3 - 5 more minutes to lightly brown the sausage.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer, uncovered, for 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large metal bowl, mix the pasta with the sauce. Top it at the table with Parmesan cheese. Alternatively, you can refrigerate it for up to 2 days before serving it.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Omit the oil. Place the onion, peppers, garlic, sausage, and, tomatoes in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. Serve over cooked pasta. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook the pasta and store tossed with a little oil to prevent sticking, slice the onion and bell peppers, halve and slice the sausage and refrigerate, grate the cheese if necessary and refrigerate, or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Season the sauce with freshly ground black pepper and/or crushed red pepper flakes and use spicy Italian sausage. Tip: To get the longest shelf life, store your olive oil in a cool dark place, away from the heat of your oven and stove. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 310, Total Fat: 7g, 11%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 5%; Cholesterol: 15mg, 5%; Sodium: 710mg, 30%; Total Carbohydrate: 49g, 16%; Dietary Fiber: 6g, 24%; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 13g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!