Philadelphia Cheese Steaks
Philadelphia loves its cheese steaks. Here at The Scramble we wanted to bring the flavor of the "City of Brotherly Love" to you. Scramble recipe tester Jennifer Doig said, “The sandwiches were perfectly toasty and soft, warm and delicious! And for the health conscious, not at all greasy as I imagine a true Philly sandwich would be.”
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers any color, thinly sliced
- 2 large soft baguettes (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 1/2 lbs. sliced roast beef (such as all natural Applegate Farms)
- 6 slices provolone cheese or you can always use Philly's favorite, Cheez Whiz!
- 1/4 cup ketchup or to taste, for serving (optional)
- 2 tsp. hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco) or to taste, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the onions and peppers, stirring occasionally, until they are very soft and the onions are starting to brown, 8 - 10 minutes. After about 5 minutes, put the baguettes in the oven to warm them.
- Transfer the onions and peppers to a bowl, cover them, and set them aside. In the same skillet, heat the remaining oil over medium heat.
- Cut the roast beef into thin strips and sauté it in the oil, stirring frequently, until it is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the baguettes from the oven and slice them lengthwise, cutting them most of the way through.
- Line the bottoms of the sandwiches with the cheese, and top it with the beef, onions, and peppers.
- Cut each baguette into 3 sandwiches, and serve them warm, topped with the ketchup or hot pepper sauce, if desired.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Omit the oil. Combine the onions, peppers, roast beef, and cheese in the slow cooker and cook it on low for 4 - 5 hours or on high for 2 - 3 hours. When ready to serve, fill the baguettes with the vegetables, beef, and cheese and serve them warm, topped with the ketchup or hot pepper sauce, if desired. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Instant Pot Directions
- Omit the oil. Put 1 cup of water into the pot and insert the trivet, if desired, then the steamer basket. Put the onions, peppers, and roast beef in the basket and top with half the ketchup or hot pepper sauce. Cook at HIGH pressure for 1 minute and Quick Pressure Release. Assemble baguettes as directed. (Click here for Instant Pot tips and a list of Scramble recipes that have IP conversions.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Slice the onions and bell peppers, slice the roast beef and the cheese if necessary and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Serve the sandwiches with the hot pepper sauce or use sliced hot peppers. Tip: Look for lower sodium versions of the meat, cheese, and bread for this recipe, as the combination of prepared ingredients make the sodium for this dish higher than most Scramble recipes. To help your body cope with salty meals, eat a banana (potassium balances sodium) and drink water with lemon slices (lemon is a diuretic). Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 610, Total Fat: 21g, 33%; Saturated Fat: 6g, 30%; Cholesterol: 65mg, 22%; Sodium: 1100mg, 45%; Total Carbohydrate: 66g, 22%; Dietary Fiber: 5g, 20%; Sugar: 11g; Protein: 40g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!