Portland Potato and Broccoli Smash
This recipe was inspired by a mashed potato bowl with broccoli, corn, and Cheddar cheese at an awesome place called Laughing Planet Café in Portland, Oregon. Gorgonzola cheese adds a sharp contrasting flavor, while the shredded Cheddar is a milder option. Scramble recipe tester Jamila Mergerson said, “This was another fabulous recipe! My kids licked their bowls clean!”
- 2 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes cut into large chunks
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 head broccoli use a smallish head, 8 – 10 oz., florets and stalks, diced into small pieces
- 2 Tbsp. butter cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 cups corn kernels, frozen, canned, or fresh thawed if using frozen
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese or use shredded sharp Cheddar
- In a large stockpot, cover the potatoes and garlic with water, with the water going about one inch higher than the potatoes. Add 1 tsp. salt and cover the pot and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to cook them at a low boil for 5 minutes, keeping the pot partially covered, then stir in the broccoli, bring it back to a boil, and cook it for 10 more minutes.
- Scoop out about 1/4 cup of the cooking water, set it aside, and drain the potatoes, garlic, and broccoli.
- Return them to the pot over low heat, mash them with the butter, and add about 1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste.
- If the potatoes are too dry, add some or all of the reserved cooking water.
- Stir in the corn and serve the potato mixture topped with about 2 tsp. cheese per serving.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Add all ingredients except the cheese to the slow cooker, and cook on low for 7 - 8 hours or on high for 4 - 5 hours, until the potatoes are very soft. Mash the potatoes well, add the cheese, and cook 15 minutes more until the cheese is melted. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cut the potatoes and store submerged in water for up to 24 hours to prevent browning, peel the garlic, dice the broccoli, thaw the corn if necessary, crumble or shred the cheese if necessary and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Top it with sriracha, salsa, or lemon-pepper seasoning. Tip: When cooking with garlic, be aware that the smaller the cut, the more pungent it will be. For example, the sliced garlic called for in this recipe will be slightly less pungent than minced garlic. The sulfur compounds that give garlic its flavor are released when it’s cut, so the more chopping, the more pungent the flavor will be. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 219, Total Fat: 8g, 11%; Saturated Fat: 4g, 21%; Cholesterol: 19mg, 6%; Sodium: 212mg, 9%; Total Carbohydrate: 33g, 11%; Dietary Fiber: 5g, 17.5%; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 8g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!