Spaghetti and Meatballs
A bowl of spaghetti and meatballs is the ultimate comfort food! If you prefer to make your own sauce, the directions are below. (This will add about 15 minutes to the cooking time.) For a meatless option, use prepared vegetarian meatballs, sold frozen.
- 16 oz. spaghetti (use wheat/gluten-free if needed)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef, or use ground chicken, turkey, or vegetarian meatballs
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (store-bought or homemade)(use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 26 oz. red pasta sauce (store-bought or homemade) see Note below for homemade directions
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- If making homemade sauce from the recipe below, start it first and wait to add the spaghetti to the boiling water until the sauce has started to simmer and the meatballs have just begun to cook. Cook the spaghetti according to package directions until it is al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together the meat, egg, bread crumbs, and garlic powder.
- Form the mixture into meatballs 1-inch across. (If using vegetarian meatballs, just simmer them in the pasta sauce.)
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and sauté them, turning them frequently, until they are browned on all sides, 5 - 8 minutes.
- Add the sauce and cook it until it is warmed through. Simmer it gently until the spaghetti is ready. Serve the meatballs and sauce over spaghetti, and sprinkle it with the Parmesan cheese.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Mix and form the meatballs as directed above. Place the sauce in the slow cooker. (If making your own sauce, combine the sauce ingredients in the slow cooker.) Gently place the meatballs in the sauce and cook on low for 6 - 7 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. Serve over cooked spaghetti. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Note: To make homemade pasta sauce, in a medium saucepan sauté 1 tsp. minced garlic in 2 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat for about 30 seconds. Add 1 medium finely diced yellow onion and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add 5 fresh diced tomatoes or 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes, 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce, and 1 - 2 Tbsp. tomato paste (optional). Add 2 tsp. dried or 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped basil and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Simmer until the sauce thickens, 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook the spaghetti and store tossed with a little oil to prevent sticking, beat and refrigerate the egg, assemble and refrigerate or cook the meatballs, prepare and refrigerate the pasta sauce if making homemade, grate the cheese if necessary and refrigerate.
Scramble Flavor Booster: Add ¼ - ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce. Tip: Meatballs freeze well, so consider doubling the meatballs in this recipe and pulling them out for easy meatball subs or Meatball and Orzo Soup in the coming weeks. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 460, Total Fat: 17g, 26%; Saturated Fat: 5g, 25%; Cholesterol: 65mg, 22%; Sodium: 550mg, 23%; Total Carbohydrate: 55g, 18%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 12%; Sugar: 21g; Protein: 8g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!