Spiced Chicken Soft Tacos
These tacos are melt-in-your-mouth delicious, although they can be a little messy to eat. They can be served over rice instead of inside tortillas if you prefer a neater feast.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper cored and chopped
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in half crosswise (the short way)
- 12 oz. salsa or picante sauce
- ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 avocado peeled and diced
- 12 corn tortillas
- In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the chicken, and cook for about 2 minutes per side until the outsides start to brown.
- Pour the salsa, broth or water, spices and honey over the chicken, stir to combine, and simmer it for 8 to 10 minutes, partially covered, flipping the chicken once or twice.
- Heat the tortillas by wrapping them in a clean damp dishtowel and warming them in the microwave for about 1 minute until they are warm and soft.
- Serve the chicken inside the tortillas, topped with the avocado, if desired.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Omit the broth or water. Cut the chicken into bite-size strips. Place all ingredients except the tortillas and avocado into the slow cooker, and give it a stir to evenly distribute the spices.
- Cook on low for 6 – 8 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. Warm the tortillas just before serving and serve with the avocado, if desired. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Chop the bell pepper, cut the chicken and refrigerate, make the salsa mixture. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use spicy salsa or picante sauce and/or double the cumin. Tip: When you’re sautéing something in a pan and you’re unsure about whether or not it’s time to flip it, be patient! Before flipping, nudge the meat (or whatever you are sautéing) a bit or use tongs to pick up the edge. It will release from the pan when it has been browned sufficiently. If the food sticks, let it cook a bit more, checking again in a minute or so. This will result in a nicely browned, moist morsel. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 287, Total Fat: 9g, 14%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 6.5%; Cholesterol: 66mg, 22%; Sodium: 269mg, 15.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 23g, 7.5%; Dietary Fiber: 4g, 16%; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 29g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Calories: 353kcalCarbohydrates: 34gProtein: 29gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0.01gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 537mgPotassium: 894mgFiber: 7gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 984IUVitamin C: 31mgCalcium: 78mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!