Sweet and Sour Chicken or Tofu with a Kick
This Asian stir-fry is a little sweet, a little sour, and just a tad spicy, though you can definitely crank up the heat with extra chilies. Scramble recipe tester Debbie Firestone had this to say: “The recipe was really great! I was a little surprised that I could find the sweet chili sauce in Tulsa, but that stuff is WOW!”
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce (or use any variety) (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1/4 cup Asian sweet chili sauce (also called Mae Ploy) (usually found in the international section of supermarkets)
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes or Asian chili garlic sauce optional
- 1 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- 1 - 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts diced into 1-inch pieces, or use drained and diced extra-firm tofu
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1/2 yellow or white onion diced
- 2 red bell peppers diced, or use 3 carrots, sliced
- 1/2 - 1 jalapeno or other hot chili pepper finely diced (optional)
- In a measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, cornstarch, vinegar, and crushed red peppers or Asian chili garlic sauce (optional). Set it aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat the oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add the chicken and carrots and stir-fry them for about 3 minutes until the outside of the chicken turns white.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, and jalapeños (optional), and continue to stir-fry the mixture for about 3 more minutes until the peppers are tender-crisp and the onions start to turn translucent.
- Add the reserved sauce and cook it for 1 – 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it is heated through and the chicken is cooked through. Serve it immediately, refrigerate it for up to 3 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Omit the oil. Place the sauce ingredients in the slow cooker and whisk to combine. Add the chicken, carrots, onions, and all the peppers and stir to distribute the sauce. Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 4 - 5 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Make the sauce, dice the chicken or tofu and refrigerate, slice the carrot, dice the onion and all the peppers, or fully prepare and refrigerate or freeze the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use the optional red pepper flakes or chili garlic sauce, the optional jalapeño pepper, and/or add 1 – 2 tsp. minced garlic. Tip: When slicing or cutting bell peppers, cut them into big pieces first, then flip them on your cutting board so that your knife makes contact with the rough inside of the skin and is less likely to slip. Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be! Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 203, Total Fat: 4g, 6%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 3%; Cholesterol: 65mg, 22%; Sodium: 574mg, 24%; Total Carbohydrate: 13g, 5%; Dietary Fiber: 1g, 4%; Sugar: 9g; Protein: 28g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!