Skip to Content

Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew

Sharing is caring!

Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew

Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew

Jessica Braider
Registered dietitian Carrie Zisman shared her mom’s popular stew recipe with The Scramble. The flavor is fabulous and the ingredients are wholesome, so you can feel great about serving it to your family.
No ratings yet
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Course Main Dish
Cuisine American
Servings 6 servings


  • 1 Tbsp. vegetable or peanut oil
  • 1 yellow onion diced about 2 cups
  • 2 - 3 sweet potatoes peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes about 6 cups
  • 2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 15 oz. canned chickpeas (or use 1 1/2 cups home-cooked chickpeas for every 15 oz. can), drained and rinsed
  • 28 oz. diced tomatoes with their liquid
  • 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or use any variety)
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter or other nut or seed butter
  • 1/4 cup peanuts chopped, for garnish (optional)


  • In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the onions for about 5 minutes until they are translucent.
  • Add the sweet potatoes, cumin, and pepper and sauté for another minute or two.
  • Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, broth, and peanut butter and bring it to a boil. Simmer it, partially covered, for 15 - 25 minutes until the potatoes are very tender.
  • Serve it immediately, garnished with peanuts if desired, refrigerate it for up to 3 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.

Slow Cooker Directions

  • Add all the ingredients except the oil and the peanuts to the slow cooker and set it on low for 6 - 8 hours or high for 4 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)


Note: For a less chunky stew, puree part of the soup with a hand-held immersion blender or in a standing blender.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Dice the onion, peel and dice the potatoes, chop the peanuts if using, or fully prepare and refrigerate or freeze the dish.
Scramble Flavor Booster: Stir in a little cayenne or chipotles in adobo sauce for the last 5 minutes of cooking, or serve it with hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco.
Tip: Some foods, like fish, onion, and garlic, have strong scents that can be difficult to remove from your hands, even if you wash with soap and water. Lemon juice can help neutralize these odors. After washing with soap and warm water, try rinsing your hands in a combination of lemon and water, or just mash a slice of lemon in your hands and rinse.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 340, Total Fat: 15g, 23%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 13%; Cholesterol: 5mg, 0%; Sodium: 490mg, 20%; Total Carbohydrate: 37g, 12%; Dietary Fiber: 8g, 32%; Sugar: 12g; Protein: 13g
Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Keyword Dairy-Free, Dinner, Fall, Freezer-Friendly, Gluten-Free, High Fiber, Kosher, Low Fat, Main Dish, Make-Ahead, Slow Cooker, Soups & Stews, Vegan, Vegetarian, Winter
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!

    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop