Taco Chili with Cilantro-Sour Cream
This Taco Chili with Cilantro-Sour Cream is a fun spin on two of our favorite classics: taco night and chili night! Everyone will love using tortillas chips to scoop up this warm, filling combination of beans, corn, and ground meat (or meatless crumbles!) and the cilantro-sour cream makes the meal that much more special. Added bonus: it is ready in 20 minutes, making it the perfect meal for a busy night!
- 1 lb. ground turkey, chicken, beef, pork, or meatless crumble
- 2 cloves garlic minced, about 1 tsp.
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 15 oz. reduced-sodium canned kidney beans with their liquid (or rinse and drain the beans and replace the liquid with water or beer)
- 1 1/4 cups frozen corn kernels or use 15 oz. unsweetened corn kernels, drained
- 15 oz. Italian-style stewed tomatoes drained
- 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1 cup low fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 lime juice only, about 1 1/2 tsp.
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro minced
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups tortilla chips for serving (optional)
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese for serving (optional)
- In a large pot, brown the meat over medium heat, about 5 minutes (if using meatless crumble, add it later with the beans, corn, and tomatoes rather than browning it).
- While it is cooking, add the garlic, chili powder, and cinnamon.
- When the meat is almost cooked through, add the beans, corn, tomatoes, and salt. Simmer for 10 minutes, or more if time allows.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sour cream or yogurt, lime juice, and cilantro.
- Serve the chili topped with a dollop of the cilantro-sour cream and with tortilla chips and/or Cheddar cheese, if desired. Alternatively, you can refrigerate the chili for up to 2 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Brown the meat (skip this step if using meatless crumble), drain it if necessary, add it to the slow cooker with the remaining chili ingredients (the garlic through salt).
- Give it a stir and cook it on low for 6 – 8 hours or on high for 3 – 4 hours. Make the cilantro-sour cream as directed above and refrigerate it until ready to serve. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Brown and refrigerate the meat (skip this step if using meatless crumble), peel the garlic, juice the lime, mince the cilantro, prepare and refrigerate the cilantro-sour cream, shred the cheese if necessary and refrigerate, or fully prepare and refrigerate or freeze the chili. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use extra chili powder or use spicy Mexican chili powder. Tip: Try replacing sour cream with plain Greek yogurt in many recipes. The yogurt has significantly more protein and tastes very similar. Video: Watch Jessica make Taco Chili live on Facebook! Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 380, Total Fat: 13g, 20%; Saturated Fat: 6g, 30%; Cholesterol: 55mg, 18%; Sodium: 910mg, 38%; Total Carbohydrate: 41g, 14%; Dietary Fiber: 7g, 28%; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 27g Want to make beans from scratch? Check out our post on how to make beans in the slow cooker or Instant Pot pressure cooker. Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!