Tender Fish and Tomato Curry
This curry is the epitome of a simple comfort food dish: a few quality ingredients, warm and soothing flavors, and ready in 30 minutes!
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion halved top to bottom and thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 15 oz. fire-roasted diced tomatoes with their liquid
- 1 lb. catfish or other thick white fish fillet cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper or to taste
- In a Dutch oven or deep skillet, heat the oil over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and celery and sauté them, stirring often, until they are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder for about 30 seconds, and then add the tomatoes.
- When it starts to bubble gently, stir in the fish and keep it at a simmer for about 7 minutes until the fish is cooked through. Season it with salt and pepper and serve it over the rice.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 – 5 hours or on high for 2 – 2 1/2 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Halve and slice the onion, slice the celery, dice the tomato, cut the fish and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Double the curry powder or serve the stew with hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco. Serve the stew with fresh lime wedges. Tip: If some of your favorite fruits and vegetables aren’t in season now, peruse the frozen fruit and vegetable aisle for alternatives. Frozen produce is picked and flash-frozen at the peak of its freshness and maintains its nutritional benefits and flavor. Video: Watch Jessica make it on Facebook Live! Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 189, Total Fat: 7g, 10.5%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 6.5%; Cholesterol: 66mg, 22%; Sodium: 317mg, 13%; Total Carbohydrate: 11g, 3.5%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 11%; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 21g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!