This hearty casserole is a cinch to prepare, and a delicious way to get more healthy beans into your family's diet. Scramble fans Tom and Cathy Connelly tell me that they make this meal so often for their 3 children that they have it memorized!
- 15 oz. canned pinto or black beans drained and rinsed (or use 1 lb. cooked ground turkey or beef), or use 1 1/2 cups home-cooked beans for every 15 oz. can
- 11 oz. reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup
- 3/4 cup corn frozen, fresh, or canned
- 1 cup salsa look for brands with no sugar added
- 1/2 cup low fat milk or use any variety
- 6 whole wheat tortillas cut into 1-inch pieces, use wheat/gluten-free tortillas ,if needed
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients, reserving half the cheese.
- Spread the mixture in a 2-quart casserole (mine is round, about 9-inches in diameter), cover it with foil, and bake it for 30 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, uncover it, and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Brown the ground beef or turkey (if using it), cut the tortillas. Scramble Flavor Booster: Mix in 1/2 tsp. chili powder or cumin, use a spicy salsa and serve the casserole with hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco. Tip: You can use kitchen shears to cut tortillas. It's efficient and kind of fun too! Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 350, Total Fat: 11g, 17%; Saturated Fat: 5g, 25%; Cholesterol: 20mg, 7%; Sodium: 960mg, 40%; Total Carbohydrate: 53g, 18%; Dietary Fiber: 6g, 24%; Sugar: 11g; Protein: 15g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!