Turkey (or Beef) and Vegetable Stew
- 1 lb. ground turkey, beef, or meatless crumbles
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1/4 green cabbage chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 green or red bell pepper chopped
- 3 - 4 stalks celery sliced, or peeled and diced celeriac/celery root (about 1 cup)
- 15 oz. diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef or vegetable broth
- 15 oz. canned kidney beans with their liquid
- ½ cup fresh parsley chopped
- In a large stockpot, brown the meat over medium heat, and drain the grease, if necessary (a turkey baster works well for this).
- Add the onions and cabbage and sauté them until they are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring it to a boil, partially cover it and reduce the heat to keep it at a simmer.
- Cook it for 15 – 20 minutes until the carrots are as tender as you like them, stirring occasionally.
- Serve it immediately, or refrigerate it for up to 3 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Omit beef broth altogether, or reduce it to 1 cup if you like a stew with lots of liquid. Add all other ingredients to the slow cooker, and cook it on low for 5 hours or high for 3 hours.