Warm Pasta Salad with Arugula or Spinach
This is a fresh-tasting dish for a weeknight dinner, and is great served hot or cold. Arugula has a light peppery taste that adventurous children may like, but you might want to leave some noodles plain just in case. If you can’t find arugula, you can use baby spinach or other tender greens.
- 16 oz. penne noodles (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 4 oz. baby arugula or baby spinach
- 4 plum tomatoes (also called Roma tomatoes), chopped, or use 15 oz. canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 oz. crumbled feta or goat cheese about 1 cup
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives chopped
- 10 fresh basil or mint leaves chopped
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar or more to taste
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions until it is al dente, and drain it.
- Meanwhile, in a large serving bowl, combine the arugula or spinach, tomatoes, feta or goat cheese, olives, basil or mint, vinegar, and oil.
- Toss the noodles with the ingredients in the serving bowl. Season it with salt, if desired, and serve it immediately or refrigerate it for up to 2 days.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook the pasta and store tossed with a little oil to prevent sticking, chop the tomatoes and olives and the mint if using (do not chop the basil in advance), crumble the cheese if necessary and refrigerate, or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes with the tomatoes. Tip: Remember to read through a recipe completely before starting to cook. This extra step can keep you from making mistakes with ingredient preparation or measurements, ultimately saving time and stress, and will make you excited for the meal that awaits. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 300, Total Fat: 9g, 14%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 15%; Cholesterol: 10mg, 3%; Sodium: 370mg, 15%; Total Carbohydrate: 45g, 15%; Dietary Fiber: 2g, 8%; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 10g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!