Baked Fish with Mushrooms and Italian Herbs
Mild white fish becomes moist and succulent with these Italian flavors. Scramble recipe tester Maxine Silverman said, “The fish was fantastic. Very light but SUPER flavorful.”
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 lb. catfish or other mild white fish fillets such as mahi mahi, tilapia, cod, or sole
- 6 - 8 cremini or white button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 lemon
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning blend or use dried parsley, oregano, thyme, and basil
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a 9 x 13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish, melt the butter in the microwave or conventional oven. Add the fish to the pan and turn it a couple of times to coat it lightly with the butter.
- Spread the mushrooms around the fish, and top everything with the zest and juice of 1/2 the lemon. Cut the remaining 1/2 lemon into wedges to serve with the fish.
- Sprinkle the Italian seasoning evenly over the fish, and then drizzle the oil, salt, and garlic powder over everything.
- Bake the fish for about 20 minutes, until it is opaque and flakes easily. Serve it immediately with the reserved lemon wedges.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Place each fillet on a piece of aluminum foil large enough to fold into a packet and brush them with melted butter. Spread the mushrooms around the fish, and top everything with the zest and juice of 1/2 the lemon. Cut the remaining 1/2 lemon into wedges to serve with the fish. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning evenly over the fish, and then drizzle the oil, salt, and garlic powder over everything. Fold the foil over the fish to make a sealed packet, and arrange the packets in the slow cooker, stacking one on top of the other as necessary. Cook for 6 - 7 hours on low or 3 - 4 hours on high. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Instant Pot Directions
- Pour 1 cup of either chicken broth, fish broth, or water into the Instant Pot. Place the steamer basket on top of the broth. Place the fish and mushrooms in the steamer basket and top with the remaining ingredients. Cook at high pressure for 4 minutes and then use Quick Pressure Release. (Click here for Instant Pot tips and a list of Scramble recipes that have IP conversions.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cut the mushrooms, zest and juice half the lemon and cut the remaining half into wedges. Scramble Flavor Booster: Double the garlic powder and/or sprinkle the fish with salt-free lemon pepper before serving. Tip: Mushrooms add a rich taste to many dishes. They are an excellent source of B vitamins, which help to maintain good digestive health. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 140, Total Fat: 6g, 8.5%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 8%; Cholesterol: 69mg, 23%; Sodium: 197mg, 8%; Total Carbohydrate: 3g, 1%; Dietary Fiber: 1g, 2%; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 20g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!