Baked Turkey and Corn Burritos
When The Scramble was young, Linda Singer suggested this tasty, low-fat recipe, and we think it still deserves a place at the table! We cooked the burritos until they were crispy and topped them with sour cream and salsa.
- 1 lb. ground turkey, meatless crumbles, or 15 oz. black beans drained and rinsed if using beans
- 15 oz. vegetarian refried beans (or use 1 1/2 cups home-made refried beans for every 15 oz. can)
- 1 - 2 cup salsa (look for brands with no sugar added),
- 1 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned, or fresh
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- 10 large (burrito size) whole wheat or white flour tortillas (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 cup low fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (or use any variety) (optional)
- 1 avocado sliced, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Over medium heat, brown the turkey in a large nonstick skillet until it is cooked through, about 5 minutes (if using vegetarian ground meat or beans, add during the next step instead).
- Add the refried beans, 1 cup of salsa, and the corn (reserve any remaining corn to serve on the side with the burritos), and warm the mixture until it is heated through, stirring occasionally. Remove it from the heat and stir in the cheese.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave for approximately 1 minute to soften them. Assemble the burritos by spooning one large scoop of the turkey-bean mixture into each tortilla, folding in the sides, and rolling them up. Place them in the baking dish, seam side down, and bake them, uncovered, until the tortillas are crisp and lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Serve them immediately topped with sour cream, any extra salsa or corn, and/or avocados, if desired, or freeze them for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Combine the ground meat or beans, refried beans, salsa, and corn in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours, until the meat is cooked through. Add the cheese to the slow cooker and stir to combine approximately 10 minutes before you plan to assemble the burritos. Warm the tortillas, fill, roll, and serve the burritos as directed above. (For crispy burritos, bake as directed above.) (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Shred the cheese if necessary and refrigerate, make and refrigerate the ground meat/bean/cheese mixture, or fully prepare and freeze the burritos. Scramble Flavor Booster: Substitute Pepper Jack cheese for the Monterey Jack or Cheddar. Use spicy salsa and add a few dashes of hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco, to the turkey. Tip: Monterey Jack cheese is a great addition to many Mexican-inspired recipes. It melts very well, making it easy to work with in baked dishes and grilled cheese sandwiches. For a kick, use spicier Pepper Jack cheese. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 390, Total Fat: 9g, 14%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 15%; Cholesterol: 25mg, 8%; Sodium: 810mg, 34%; Total Carbohydrate: 62g, 21%; Dietary Fiber: 5g, 20%; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 23g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!