Baked Trout with Mushroom Stuffing
Who knew when Aviva Goldfarb was a little girl that she would grow up to create The Scramble and bring her mother's easy and elegant recipe with her?!
- 2 Tbsp. butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced, about 1/2 tsp.
- 4 oz. sliced cremini mushrooms or use white or button mushrooms
- 1/4 cup white wine or use chicken or vegetable broth mixed with 1 tsp. vinegar
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (store-bought or homemade)(use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley or cilantro chopped
- 1 lemon juice only, about 1/4 cup
- 4 (about 1/2 lb. each) whole boneless trout, or use other small whole fish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat 1 Tbsp. of the butter or oil. Add the garlic and mushrooms and sauté them until the mushrooms shrink and become tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add half of the wine and let it cook down for about 5 minutes. Add the remaining butter or oil, the bread crumbs, cheese, parsley or cilantro, and half of the lemon juice and mix it well.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully slice the fish in half, from one side to the other, stopping with about 1/4 of an inch left to go, so that the fish will stay together. Distribute the mixture evenly inside the fish, gently pressing the fish closed around the stuffing (if it ends up getting sliced entirely in half, that is ok, just place the stuffing on top of the bottom half and place the top half on top, pressing the fish close around the sutffing).
- Place the fish in the baking dish and pour the remaining wine and lemon juice over the fish. Bake the fish, uncovered and without flipping it, for 25 minutes.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Prepare the stuffing in a skillet as directed. Lay each piece of trout on an individual piece of aluminum foil large enough to fold into a packet. Distribute the stuffing mixture evenly inside the fish, gently pressing the fish closed around the stuffing. Drizzle the remaining wine and lemon juice over the fish, then fold the foil around the fish to form a packet. Stack the packets in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 4 - 5 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Peel the garlic, slice the mushrooms if necessary, grate the cheese if necessary and refrigerate, chop the parsley or cilantro, juice the lemon. Scramble Flavor Booster: Double the garlic and season the mushroom mixture with salt and black pepper or lemon pepper seasoning. Tip: Mushrooms are a flavorful low calorie addition to recipes. For example, one cup of chopped mushrooms or one large portobello mushroom has only 20 calories and almost 2 grams of protein. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 360, Total Fat: 17g, 26%; Saturated Fat: 5g, 23%; Cholesterol: 110mg, 37%; Sodium: 170mg, 7%; Total Carbohydrate: 6g, 2%; Dietary Fiber: 1g, 4%; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 41g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!