Beef and Broccoli Teriyaki
Scramble recipe tester Debbie Firestone said this dish got “rave reviews” from her whole family, and her 9-year-old daughter asked if they could have it again soon. This doesn’t even need a side dish because it’s a complete meal with protein, veggies, and grains. Another perk? This dish is easy to make vegetarian by using tofu or mushrooms (see below).
- 1 1/2 cups white or quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 lb. boneless beef steak such as top round or top sirloin sliced into thin strips, or use extra-firm tofu, drained, wrapped in a clean dishtowel to remove excess moisture, and sliced, or 8 oz. portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb. broccoli trimmed and cut into spears
- 2 carrots diced, about 1 cup
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed) store-bought or make your own – see Tip below
- 4 scallions sliced, about 1/4 cup
- Prepare the rice according to the package directions.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sear (cook without moving) the sliced steak for about 1 minute on each side.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, and teriyaki sauce to the skillet and toss to coat the meat and vegetables. Reduce the heat slightly and cover the pan to steam the vegetables for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover and stir in the scallions until warmed through.
- Serve the beef and vegetables over the rice, spooning the sauce over everything.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Reduce the teriyaki sauce to 1/2 cup. Place the beef (or tofu or mushrooms), broccoli, carrots, teriyaki sauce, and scallions in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours or on high for 3 – 4 hours. Just before serving, cook the rice according to package directions, then serve the beef, vegetables, and sauce over the rice. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook the rice, slice the steak, drained tofu, or mushrooms and refrigerate (if time allows, put the steak in the freezer for 5 – 10 minutes before slicing it to make it easier to cut), cut the broccoli, slice the carrots and the scallions, make the teriyaki sauce if preparing your own. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add up to 1 tsp. chili garlic sauce or ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes with the teriyaki sauce. Tip: To make your own teriyaki sauce, combine 1 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce or tamari, 1 1/2 Tbsp. rice vinegar or rice wine vinegar, 1 1/2 Tbsp. rice wine, 1 1/2 tsp. brown sugar, and 1/4 tsp. each of ground ginger and garlic powder. Video: Watch Jessica make this on Facebook Live! Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 430, Total Fat: 9g, 14%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 13%; Cholesterol: 70mg, 23%; Sodium: 150mg, 6%; Total Carbohydrate: 55g, 18%; Dietary Fiber: 5g, 20%; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 32g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!