Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos with Avocado Crema
Tacos are one of my all-time favorite meals. I love the interactive nature of them and how you can build the flavors. This version is so simple to make but will make you feel like you are doing something really decadent, all thanks to the avocado crema, which made my 9-year-old exclaim, “Wow! This is such a fancy dinner!” Can’t beat that! Other optional but wonderful toppings for the tacos include shredded lettuce or purple cabbage, chopped cucumbers, salsa, or hot sauce.
- 2 small or 1 large sweet potato peeled and finely diced (about ¾ lb.)
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 5/8 tsp. salt
- 5/8 tsp. black pepper
- 30 oz. reduced-sodium canned black beans drained and rinsed, or use 3 cups homemade black beans
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup low fat plain yogurt or use any variety
- 1/2 lime juice only, about 2 Tbsp.
- 1 clove garlic minced, about 1/2 tsp.
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper if you want to make cleanup easier.
- In a medium bowl, toss the sweet potatoes with the oil, chili powder, cumin, and ¼ tsp. salt and pepper.
- Spread the potatoes evenly on the baking sheet, making sure they are in one layer. Cook them for 15 – 20 minutes until they are fork tender.
- Place the beans in a small pot, heat over a medium-low heat, and add the garlic powder and ¼ tsp. salt and pepper. Keep warm, covered, over a very low heat, stirring occasionally, until everything else is ready.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop out all the avocado flesh and place it in a bowl if using an immersion blender or a blender if using a regular blender. Add the yogurt, lime juice, and garlic. Puree until smooth and then add 1/8 tsp. salt and pepper.
- Wrap the tortillas in a damp cloth or paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds, or until warmed through.
- Bring the potatoes and the beans to the table and let everyone design their own tacos with the avocado crema, cheese, and other toppings, as desired.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Peel, chop, and roast the sweet potatoes, prepare the additional toppings if using. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add more chili powder to the beans, serve the tacos with a hot sauce such as Tabasco. Tip: Avocado crema not only adds a little pizazz to a dish, but it’s also good for you! With the avocado and yogurt, you get a nice boost of protein in your “condiment.” It’s also great for dipping veggies in or as a topping for eggs, chicken, or fish. Video: Watch Jessica make it on Facebook Live! Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values) Calories 322, Total Fat: 8g, 12%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 7%; Cholesterol: 3mg, 1%; Sodium: 284mg, 12%; Total Carbohydrate: 52g, 17%; Dietary Fiber: 14g, 55%; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 12g Want to make beans from scratch? Check out our post on how to make beans in the slow cooker or Instant Pot pressure cooker. Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
How to Cook Beans in a Slow Cooker or Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Wednesday 5th of August 2020
[…] Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos with Avocado Crema […]
How to Cook Sweet Potato and Recipes to Get You Started
Tuesday 19th of November 2019
[…] Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos with Avocado Crema: A favorite meal in my house. This is a 30-minute meal that everyone will think is fancy and fun! […]