Black Bean, Avocado, and Spinach Salad
This salad, inspired by a recipe from the Dole Nutrition Institute, is like a spinach burrito in a bowl, but you can also easily turn it into a wrap. It’s loaded with folate, antioxidants, protein, and calcium for great health. For non-salad eaters, remove some of each ingredient to serve separately as a rainbow on a plate.
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juice only, 2 Tbsp.
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard (use wheat/gluten-free if needed)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 6 - 9 oz. baby spinach
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
- 15 oz. reduced-sodium canned black beans (or use any variety)(or use 1 1/2 cups home-cooked beans for every 15 oz. can), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese or use shredded Parmesan or your favorite cheese
- 1 avocado diced
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, 1 Tbsp. of water, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and salt.
- In a large serving bowl, layer the remaining ingredients. Toss the salad gently with the dressing and serve.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Juice the lemon, prepare and refrigerate the dressing, halve the tomatoes, slice the bell pepper, crumble or shred the cheese if necessary and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Serve with plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Tip: For a more elegant presentation, cut the avocado into thin slices and fan it over the salad. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 244, Total Fat: 14g, 22%; Saturated Fat: 4g, 17%; Cholesterol: 13mg, 4%; Sodium: 533mg, 22%; Total Carbohydrate: 23g, 8%; Dietary Fiber: 9g, 34%; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 16g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!