Blueberry Oatmeal Waffles
A whole grain waffle that is actually light and fluffy felt as likely as unicorns being real... until this recipe! These are a favorite in our house because they feel like a treat (which makes the boys happy) but are packed with whole grains and some fruit (which makes me happy). We love to have them with syrup on the first day and then make cream cheese sandwiches with them throughout the week for an easy, portable breakfast.
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats (use wheat/gluten-free,if needed)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (I like the white whole wheat from King Arthur Flour, use wheat/gluten-free, if needed) this should be a scant cup, just short of 1 cup of flour
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 baking soda
- 3 eggs beaten
- 2 cups low fat plain yogurt (or use any variety)
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup blueberries or wild blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat and grease your waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200.
- Grind the oats in your food processor or blender until they are the consistency of whole-wheat flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oat flour, other flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In another bowl, melt the butter and then whisk in the eggs. When well combined, whisk in the yogurt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined. Gently mix in the blueberries.
- Ladle the recommended amount of waffle batter into the hot waffle iron, close the lid, and cook until the waffle is golden. Put cooked waffle in the oven to keep warm and repeat the process until all waffles are baked. Serve with extra blueberries and maple syrup.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 326, Total Fat: 15g, 22%; Saturated Fat: 8g, 38%; Cholesterol: 124mg, 41.5%; Sodium: 665mg, 27%; Total Carbohydrate: 40g, 13.5%; Dietary Fiber: 5g, 20%; Sugar: 13g; Protein: 11g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!