Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
I just love the combined flavors of broccoli and Cheddar cheese and this soup brings them together in the most comforting way possible. This soup is most satisfying when eaten very hot.
- 2 Tbsp. butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced, about 1 tsp.
- 16 oz. frozen broccoli florets
- 32 oz. reduced-sodium vegetable broth or use reduced-sodium chicken broth, or use any variety
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme or 1 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese or more to taste
- In a large stock pot, melt the butter or heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté them until the onions are translucent and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, broth and thyme and bring it to a boil.
- Simmer it for about 5 minutes until the broccoli is very tender.
- Using a handheld immersion blender or a standing blender, puree the soup.
- Return it to the pot (if necessary), and stir in the cheese until it is fully melted, about one minute.
- Remove it from the heat and serve immediately.
Scramble Flavor Booster: Serve it with crispy crumbled bacon. Double the garlic and serve it with salt and freshly ground black pepper and/or hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco. Tip: Aging is the only difference between sharp and mild Cheddar cheese. The longer Cheddar has aged, the sharper and more pronounced the flavor will be. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 170, Total Fat: 12g, 18%; Saturated Fat: 7g, 35%; Cholesterol: 35mg, 12%; Sodium: 450mg, 19%; Total Carbohydrate: 9g, 3%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 12%; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 8g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!