Burgers Smothered with Mushrooms and Onions
Whether you use veggie or traditional burgers, topping them with these mushrooms and onions will take your meal to the next level!
- 4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Boca burgers or any meatless or traditional burger
- 1 large yellow onion halved from top to bottom and thinly sliced
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 4 whole wheat English muffins or buns (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 4 slices Swiss, provolone, Cheddar, or Pepper Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup ketchup, mustard, or barbecue sauce (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed), for serving
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tsp. oil over medium heat. Add the burgers and cook them, flipping them every couple of minutes, until they are browned and heated through, about 8 minutes total. (For meat burgers cook them for about 5 minutes per side until they are no longer pink in the middle.)
- While the burgers are cooking, heat the remaining oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and mushrooms, and cook them, stirring occasionally, until they are softened, and onions are slightly browned, 5-8 minutes.
- Toast the buns, if desired. When the burgers are cooked through, top them with the cheese and cover the pan for a minute until the cheese melts. Put the burgers on the buns, dress them with ketchup, mustard, or barbecue sauce, and top them with a scoop of the onion-mushroom mixture.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Slice and sauté the onions and the mushrooms. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use Pepper Jack cheese, and sauté 1 tsp. minced garlic with the mushrooms and onions. Season the mushrooms and onions with ½ tsp. fresh thyme or ¼ tsp. dried thyme while they are cooking. Tip: Don't discount the humble white mushroom! Not only do white mushrooms rival the antioxidant qualities of wild mushrooms like shiitakes, but they are more budget-friendly. So toss some of this healthy, filling fungi into your salads, stir-fries and pastas. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 350, Total Fat: 15g, 24%; Saturated Fat: 5g, 26%; Cholesterol: 20mg, 6%; Sodium: 330mg, 14%; Total Carbohydrate: 29g, 10%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 12%; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 18g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!