Burmese Chicken Curry
This chicken curry is a little more work than our typical weeknight meal but your family’s reaction will make it worth the effort. Scramble recipe tester Melinda Kelley said, “This is definitely a repeater - my picky daughter actually ate it!”
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala (an Indian spice blend), or use additional curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs, or use tempeh or tofu, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion chopped, 1 – 1 1/2 cups
- 6 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- 2 tomatoes chopped, or use 15 oz. diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 2 white or russet potatoes peeled and chopped about 3 cups
- 1 lemon use 1 tsp. zest, and cut the rest into wedges
- 2 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce (or use any variety) (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- In a small bowl combine the curry powder, garam masala, and salt. Sprinkle and rub it over the chicken and set it aside.
- In a mini food processor or blender, combine the onions, garlic, ginger, paprika, and 3 Tbsp. water and puree until it is smooth.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat, and when it is hot, add the onion mixture and cook it until it darkens and thickens, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and cook it for 3 - 4 minutes until the chicken is cooked about halfway through.
- Add the tomatoes, potatoes, lemon zest, and soy sauce and sauté for 2 minutes. Add 3/4 cup water, bring it to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to keep it at a simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove the lid, raise the heat to keep it at a simmer, and cook it for 5 more minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Serve it immediately with lemon wedges or refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Omit the oil. Combine all ingredients except the lemon wedges in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 - 7 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours until the chicken is cooked through. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Combine the curry powder, garam masala, and salt, cut the chicken, tofu, or tempeh and refrigerate, sprinkle the spice rub on the chicken, tempeh, or tofu and refrigerate, chop the onion, peel the garlic, peel and mince the ginger, puree the onion mixture in the food processor, chop the tomatoes, peel and chop the potatoes and store them for up to 24 hours covered with water to prevent browning, zest the lemon and cut it into wedges, or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use cayenne pepper and/or Asian hot chili paste, or use Hungarian/smoked paprika instead of the traditional kind. Tip: If you’re tempted to swap in boneless chicken breasts, when a recipe calls for boneless chicken thighs, think twice. Because thighs are dark meat, they naturally have more flavor than their white meat counterparts. Thighs do contain more fat, but it is monounsaturated fat which is considered the “good fat” that helps to reduce cholesterol and lower your risk of heart disease. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 268, Total Fat: 9g, 13.5%; Saturated Fat: 0g, 0%; Cholesterol: 127mg, 42%; Sodium: 634mg, 23.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 16g, 5.5%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 9.5%; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 32g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!