Butternut Squash and Apple Soup with Crispy Sage
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 sweet yellow onion such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, chopped
- 3 – 4 lb. butternut squash peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 red apple such as Fuji or Gala, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger or use 1 Tbsp. fresh minced ginger
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil optional
- 1/4 cup fresh sage optional
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider or use apple butter or apple juice
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt optional
- In a large stockpot, melt half the butter over medium heat, and when it is bubbling, add the onions.
- After about 3 minutes, add the squash and apples, and sauté with the onions for about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder, ginger and cinnamon and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the broth, raise the heat and bring it to a boil, then cover and simmer it for 15 minutes, reducing the heat as needed, until the squash is tender. Puree the soup in a standing blender or in the pot with an immersion blender.
- Meanwhile, to make the crispy sage leaves, in a small skillet, heat the remaining butter and the oil over medium to medium-high heat. When it is hot, add the sage leaves and cook them until they are brown and crispy, about 2 minutes. Remove them from the heat.
- Stir the apple cider into the soup, and serve it hot, seasoned with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, and topped with crumbled leaves of crispy sage (or you may enjoy it with a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream). Alternatively, refrigerate it for up to 3 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Combine all the ingredients except half the butter, the oil, the sage and the sour cream in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Puree the soup in a standing blender or in the slow cooker with an immersion blender. Make the crispy sage leaves as directed about 5 minutes before serving the soup.
Calories 208, Total Fat 6.5g, 10%, Saturated Fat 3g, 14%, Cholesterol 10mg, 3.5%, Sodium 293.5mg, 12%, Carbohydrate 38g ,12.5%, Dietary Fiber 6.5g, 25.5%, Sugar 12g, Protein 3.5g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!