Chicken or Steak Fajitas
Who doesn’t love sizzling fajitas, especially when each family member can design their own? The marinated meat makes these fajitas especially flavorful.
- 1 – 2 lime juice only, about 1/4 cup
- 5 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless steak sliced into thin strips, or use black beans or portobello mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion halved and thinly sliced
- 2 green or red bell peppers cored and thinly sliced
- 8 medium whole wheat or flour tortillas soft taco size
- 1 – 2 avocado halved, pitted and sliced, (or use guacamole), for serving (optional)
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream for serving (optional)
- 1 cup salsa for serving (optional)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese for serving (optional)
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the lime juice, 2 Tbsp. oil, salt, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder. In a resealable plastic bag or flat dish with sides, combine the meat with the marinade, and set it aside. (Note: You can prepare the meat for this recipe up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerate it until you are ready to cook, so it has more time to absorb the marinade’s flavor.)
- When you are ready to cook, heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions and peppers until they are softened and lightly browned, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Transfer them to a serving bowl.
- When the vegetables have been cooking about 5 minutes, preheat the remaining oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. (The meat can also be grilled). Drain and transfer the meat (or mushrooms) to the skillet, and discard the marinade. Cook the meat, turning occasionally, until it is cooked through, 8 – 10 minutes.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave. Assemble the fajitas at the table, wrapping the meat (or beans or mushrooms), onions and peppers, and optional fillings in the tortillas.
Slow Cooker Directions
- There’s no need to marinate the meat in advance. Combine the lime juice, 2 Tbsp. oil, salt, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder in the slow cooker. Add the chicken or steak (or beans or mushrooms), and toss well to coat. Add the onions and peppers, and toss again, then cook on low for 5 – 6 hours, or on high for 3 – 3 1/2 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Slice and refrigerate the chicken or steak, make the marinade and marinate the meat (or mushrooms) in the refrigerator, slice the onion and the bell peppers, shred the cheese if necessary. Scramble Flavor Booster: Serve the fajitas with fresh chopped jalapeño or Serrano chilies and/or fresh cilantro. Tip: Let the avocados ripen on the counter for a few days after you buy them, until they’re just soft to the touch (squeeze them gently with your full hand to avoid bruising). Then refrigerate them until you need them. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 380, Total Fat: 12g, 18%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 15%; Cholesterol: 75mg, 25%; Sodium: 670mg, 28%; Total Carbohydrate: 34g, 11%; Dietary Fiber: 4g, 16%; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 33g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!