Chicken or Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
This is a fabulous use for leftovers with our chicken or turkey pot pie recipe! It is easier and healthier than a traditional pot pie, but it retains that nostalgic flavor. For a meatless version, substitute cream of mushroom soup for the chicken soup, and tofu for the meat.
- 1 pkg. refrigerated 9-inch pie crusts or make your own (see the link below), 2 crusts
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 2 russet potatoes peeled and finely diced
- 2 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 10 3/4 oz. condensed reduced-fat cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup cooked chicken turkey, or extra-firm tofu, diced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. If the pie crusts are frozen, set them out to soften (if they don’t soften in time, warm them in the microwave for about 15 seconds). If you’d like to make homemade pie crust, double crust in this recipe.
- In a stockpot, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, carrots, potatoes, and celery. Cook, partially covered, until softened, 5 - 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. (The vegetables in this recipe retain some crunch after the pie is cooked. If you like your veggies soft, cook them for a few extra minutes.)
- Add the peas, soup, chicken (or turkey or tofu), and ¼ cup water to the pot. Simmer it gently for a few minutes while you prepare the crust.
- Line a pie plate with 1 pie crust. Add the filling mixture and top it with the remaining pie crust. Cut slits in the top, pinch the sides of the crusts together, and trim the excess with a paring knife or scissors.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet (to help catch spills) and bake it for 25 - 35 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving, refrigerate it for up to 3 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Place all ingredients (no need to add any water) except the crusts in the slow cooker, stirring to combine well. Cut and gently set the crusts to fit snugly over the top of the filling (if you are using a round slow cooker, you may only need one crust). Cook on low for 6 - 7 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Dice the onion, peel and dice the carrots and the potatoes, slice the celery, dice and refrigerate the chicken, turkey or tofu, defrost the pie crusts, if frozen, or fully prepare and refrigerate or freeze the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Top the filling with a lot of freshly ground black pepper. Tip: This pie can be piping hot when you first remove it from the oven.If you have younger kids and want to ensure they don’t burn their mouths, try to time the recipe to give the pie 10 – 15 minutes to cool after baking. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 266, Total Fat: 12g, 18%; Saturated Fat: 4g, 20%; Cholesterol: 18mg, 6%; Sodium: 391mg, 16.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 31g, 10.5%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 10%; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 9g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!