Luscious Chickpea, Avocado, and Cucumber Salad
This flavorful vegan salad recipe can be a meal if served with some warm pita bread or naan, or a hearty side dish with some chicken or fish. About the pickle: it may seem strange, but the tangy element it adds to the salad is fantastic.
- 15 oz. canned chickpeas or use 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tomatoes diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 small cucumber quartered lengthwise and diced (no need to peel if it has a thin skin)
- 1 kosher dill pickle quartered lengthwise and diced
- 1 avocado peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions or chives finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon juice only, about 2 Tbsp.
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- In a medium serving bowl, combine the chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumbers, pickles, avocado, parsley, and scallions.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the lemon juice, oil, cumin, salt, and pepper. Drizzle it over the salad and toss gently. Serve immediately or refrigerate it for up to 24 hours. (You can make it further in advance if you want until the last day to add the avocado).
Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1/2 cup finely diced red onion Tip: Adding a pickle to recipes adds a burst of tang and flavor without adding many calories—just watch the pickle intake because they are pretty high in sodium. I always rinse them first to reduce the sodium and saltiness a tad. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 260, Total Fat: 13g, 20.5%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 8.5%; Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%; Sodium: 290mg, 12%; Total Carbohydrate: 29g, 9%; Dietary Fiber: 9g, 33%; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 8g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!