My family devoured this fabulous meal, suggested by Scramble subscriber Elizabeth Fenimore. It’s a great dish to serve to company because it looks as good as it tastes, with the colors of the Italian flag, and can be assembled up to a day in advance and then baked before dinner.
- 1 whole chicken, cut up (about 4 lbs.), or 8 – 12 chicken pieces
- 3/4 cup pitted green olives halved
- 8 oz. grape or cherry tomatoes halved
- 4 cloves garlic minced, about 2 tsp.
- 1/2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1/2 lemon use 1 tsp. lemon zest or 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, sea salt, or other coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Place the chicken in a baking dish large enough to fit the pieces in a single layer, skin side up. In a medium bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Spoon the mixture evenly over the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake the chicken, uncovered and without flipping it, for 45 minutes, or until the breasts are cooked through.
- Then put it under the broiler for an additional 3 - 5 minutes until the skins are browned. (Note: If the breasts [white meat] are done before the thighs and legs [dark meat], you can remove the white meat from the pan and continue to cook the dark meat for about 10 more minutes.) Serve immediately or refrigerate it for up to 3 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cut up the chicken if necessary and refrigerate, halve the olives and the tomatoes, peel the garlic, chop the parsley, zest or juice the lemon, or fully assemble and refrigerate the dish up to 24 hours in advance. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes to the olive mixture. Tip: For a meal that is much lower in calories and fat, remove the chicken’s skin before cooking it. This would reduce the calories per serving to 210, reduce the total fat to 7 grams, and the saturated fat to 1.5 grams! Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be! Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 450, Total Fat: 30g, 46%; Saturated Fat: 7g, 35%; Cholesterol: 145mg, 48%; Sodium: 710mg, 30%; Total Carbohydrate: 3g, 1%; Dietary Fiber: 1g, 4%; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 39g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!